At least two more child abuse deaths related to marijuana use occurred in May. In Florida, Charles Lee left a baby, aged one, alone. He went into the front yard to smoke pot with a 15-year-old and the baby drowned in a backyard pool. It is not clear what Charles Lee’s relationship is to the parents, but they had entrusted him with the child at the time.
In Salt Lake City, a father smoked pot and fell asleep on the floor. He left out a loaded gun and his two year-old shot himself. Both these incidents reflect the irresponsibility, forgetfulness and selfishness that surround using pot. Unfortunately, the victims are so young.
Parents Opposed to Pot has found 11 incidences of children drowning in pools, five of them in Florida and two in California. Continue reading →
Doctors tell women not to smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol when pregnant, so why would anyone think it’s ok to smoke pot? It turns out that 69% of marijuana dispensaries in Colorado were giving this bad advice.
Pregnant women need to be educated, but not shamed. Many of these women are victims of bad information and it’s not their fault. Our website provides several resources for pregnant and breastfeeding women. Let’s not exaggerate the possible dangers, but women need to know they risk certain heart defects, cancers in their babies.
We live in a time period in which some people trust ganjapreneurs, but don’t trust doctors. Marijuana dispensaries do not require scientific or medical training to give out medical advice. They require that workers are 21 years or older, but nothing else. Doctors, on the other hand, have years of intense education and professional organizations back up their claims. Both groups are out to make money, but which group has the most quacks?
“The marijuana industry will stop at nothing to make a buck,” said Justin Luke Riley, founder of the MAC. “Going against all available science, the industry is now recommending pot for pregnant women. They must be held accountable for their actions and not simply be given a slap on the wrist. They are actively putting their profits ahead of the healthy development of future Coloradans.”
Two Butane Hash Oil (BHO) explosions ignited in Michigan last weekend, when amateurs were attempting to extract THC from marijuana to make “dabs.” Michigan’s BHO problem will grow into a bigger problem, because legalizers succeeded in getting marijuana on the ballot in November. (Read this article to understand the difference between decriminalization and legalization.)
On Saturday, January 20 in Orion Township, a tenant was making BHO when he suddenly tried to light a cigarette, and everything exploded. The “victim”/maker of the substance was badly burned on his arms and face. He’s been hospitalized, but the other four roommates made it out of the house unharmed. Continue reading →
The man’s daughter and four other students had a reaction to marijuana laced gummy bears on January 2, the first day after winter break. All five students reported feeling ill, and they were taken to the hospital in Leonardtown. All children survived and went home to their parents or guardians, but not without a lot of drama. The event triggered a police investigation, and a father has been charged.
In the affidavit filed, the father claims that “the edible gummy candies were given to him by an associate who came to his house for a party.” This man left his candies in a plastic bag in his bedroom, knowing they were easily accessible to the daughter.
Maryland’s “medical” marijuana program opened its dispensaries about two months ago. Southern Maryland Relief, LLC, is the only dispensary in southern Maryland.
Marijuana gummy incident in New Mexico
Also in January, a fifth grader in New Mexico brought gummy bears to school, perhaps unaware that they were tainted with THC. The girl shared the candy with fourth graders at Albuquerque School of Excellence’s cafeteria. Three students ate a single gummy, and the girl who brought the THC-laced gummies ate three or four pieces. A local TV station reported the incident on January 18.
The school suspended the girl for one week, although the administration believes it was an accidental mistake. The girl’s parents said the candies were medicinal. But it shouldn’t be so hard to keep medicine away from children without getting other people’s children sick, too.
Judicial overreach in Illinois leads to judge’s flawed decision
Medical marijuana advocates want and need chronic patients. There’s no evidence that marijuana cures pain. It only lessens pain for a brief period of time. Anyone who uses marijuana for pain will have to come back for more. Americans for Safe Access, a stepchild of Drug Policy Alliance and Marijuana Policy Project, has at least two staff members working full-time to lobby for Big Marijuana, suggesting that it’s as an alternative to pain pills.
Last week Judge Mitchell of Cook County declared that the state of Illinois must expand qualifying conditions for medical marijuana to include pain. The ruling came after a lawsuit filed by Ann Mednick, 58, who says she needs it for osteoarthritis. Ann uses pain pills, but wants a treatment with fewer side effects.
Since when are judges allowed to decide on science and medicine? Never, but the case was litigated in a very corrupt county, Cook County, Illinois. (Is corruption the reason why media reports are not reporting that the tainted candy in Humboldt Park had THC?)
The ruling came at the same time when two other big stories to contradict the judge’s decision are also in the news.
Charles Johnston, a man from Illinois was recently arrested in Iowa for shooting at trucks indiscriminately, due to a grudge. When police searched his car, they found prescription pill bottles full of marijuana, a marijuana pipe and a cigarette box with a marijuana joint. Obviously, Mr. Johnston’s use of marijuana for pain triggered a violent eruption, possibly with psychosis. Johnston teaches Psychology at Harper Community College, which also happens to be in Cook County.
Medical Marijuana Fraud in Canada
It would be interesting to know if Judge Mitchell and Ann Mednick heard about what happened to another woman who took “medical” marijuana for her arthritis pain.
Dawn Rae Downton, 60, took marijuana for inflammatory arthritis and developed constant vomiting, according to reports from Canada. Downton, 60, is suing a dispensary in Nova Scotia for giving her eight months of sickness from their tainted product. Massachusetts and California, as well as Canada, have had widespread problems with tainted marijuana products, especially those claiming to be “medical.”
As New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg warned in 2014, medical marijuana is slippery slope. It poisons people while creating addiction, including children who will always be attracted to gummy bears. Big Marijuana pushes its agenda quickly in order to avoid exposure of their medical scam.